Saturday, January 14, 2012

Witnesses (Matt 3-4, Mark 1, Luke 3-4, John 1:19-4:54)

As I have been reading through the four gospels I realized how repetitive some of the stories are. I thought I just read this in Matthew and now I'm reading it again in Mark, Luke, or John. This caused me to think about why in the world these things are in the Bible so often. For example, Christ's baptism is described in great detail in Matt chapter 3 and in smaller detail in the other gospels. The stories are all basically the same, but from a slightly different perspective than the others. Each one is told from a man who knew Jesus personally, but had a slightly different personality, writing style, or maybe just a different perspective on what was happening. Some give details of how Christ healed strangers, and others tell about how he healed their own mothers. Each personality has different things that are important to them and that is highlighted in what they record. This has caused me to think about the law of witnesses set forth by Christ.
  • Matthew 18:16

    16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
It is through witnesses, their similarities and differences, that we get a complete picture of Christ, HIS personality, HIS character, and HIS Gospel...

This is why there is more than one book in the Bible, God knew how important it is to show who His Son really is. This is also why we need the Book of Mormon Another Witness of Jesus Christ. There can never be enough testimonies of Christ! As I read about His life and His teachings I feel close to Him. I feel close to Him because He was close to THEM! I know that He knows me because He knew THEM!
What greater witness can you have then this one is of God's love for us that He would preserve these testimonies so that we can read them and KNOW He is there and that He loves His children? His love for us is as individual as His witnesses.





 

No comments: