Saturday, January 21, 2012

Matthew 6:34

If I put the Lord first I don't need to worry about how my life will turn out because He will help me one day at a time. A while ago I had a really interesting conversation with my roommate. She asked me for my interpretation of this scripture's twin found in the Book of Mormon. She wanted to know why the Lord would say that our days are "evil". He says "sufficient is the day unto the evil thereof." As I pondered it then and as I ponder it now I come up with the same conclusion. He is not saying that our days are evil. If we look at the verses directly above this we see that Christ is talking about unneccessary worry and stress over basic needs like clothing, food, and shelter. He is telling us that we do not need to be stressed about clothes, especially about having the most beautiful and popular/trendy outfits. He says that He will take care of our needs and we will be beautiful in Him. Also we need not worry about what we will eat or where we will sleep. We don't need the biggest house and the fanciest dinners to be happy. Rather to be truely happy all we need to do is to do His work. To follow Him and put the Lord's Kingdom first. How do we do that? By the standard Sunday school answers, they are the standard for a reason. Be obedient to the commandments, read your scriptures, keep the Sabbath day holy, and pray often. If we do these things we don't need to stress and worry about how things will get done, how we will make ends meet or any other number of things in our futures that we worry about.
 
"Sufficient is the day unto the evil thereof" doesn't mean that each day is evil it means "you have enough to worry about today stop stressing about tomorrow, trust me and I will lead you day by day into my kingdom."

No comments: